Are you struggling w/seasonal allergies? Headaches, sinus stuffiness, fatigue, runny nose, itchy eyes, feel like you’re under water? Instead of constantly taking medications there are many natural remedies to treat allergy symptoms as well as ones to boost your immune system which can actually eliminate them. Here are a few.
- For immediate relief try the herb freeze dried stinging nettle every 4 hrs instead of antihistamines.
- Wash pollen from hair, face and clothes before lying down to avoid spreading it on your pillow and bedding. Keep windows in bedroom closed at nite.
- Try nasal rinsing w/a neti pot or use a store bought bottle solution called Ayr. Rinsing the nostrils out (gently!) in the morning and evening with this mixture of warm water, sea salt and baking soda will clear out pollen and prevent sinus build up.
- Decrease intake of dairy products during this season. Dairy increases mucus and sets up a breeding ground for sinus bacteria to live and thrive in.
- Go green! Eating dark leafy greens (which are in season right now) will clear congestion and strengthen your respiratory system. Bump up your green tea intake. Drinking green tea daily will also, over time, build your immune system and help eliminate your allergies. A great tasting one is Ban-cha (toasted green tea). Allergies are a lowered immunity response to stimuli. Green tea is packed full w/phytonutrients and antioxidants which will boost your immune system.
- Try acupuncture. It may have an immediate effect in relieving acute symptoms but I also found that it tends to have an accumulative effect in relieving allergies.
I highly recommend it for whatever ails you from muscle/joint pain to allergies/headaches/pms/menopausal symptoms. It’s a good way to balance out your “chi” and keep your energy flowing throughout the body. It’s also a great compliment to the spring detox because it is one of the most efficient and effective ways to restore and renew yourself. I always feel as though I just took a trip to Tahiti when I get a treatment. Ahhhhh….so relaxing. If you’ve never tried it, you might give it a shot and see if it works for you.
Looking for a good practitioner? If you live in the NYC area, I highly recommend Kathy Yocum M.S.,L.Ac. 212-246-3153 or e-mail her for an appointment @ Kathy Yocum Acupuncture. She’s a terrific healer and is currently offering a special spring season package.